X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethics of the Union: Synthetic Organisms

VHS Recording from the Underground University of Stockholm, 2040

*An image pops onto a projector screen, in a dimly-lit lecture room*

Good afternoon, student. Human or otherwise. My name is Professor Weitzberg. Today will be an addition to my current series of lectures, "Ethics of the Union". If you are new here, I whole heatedly welcome you. I hope you learn something from my rambling. Today we will be covering the ethical difference between man, and machine. What makes something "human" enough to be respected ethically.

*An audience member coughs, the only other noise being the short disturbance of the Professor changing pages on his note-book*

So, Synths. Possibly the backbone of not just the Union on Earth, but the Union as a whole. From what anatomy has gathered, these Synthetic creatures are not too different from the Overwatch units that we are familiar with in this day and age. Perhaps even having somewhat of a similar background. It's no secret that the Union dominate world after world, species after species. How can we assume that these creatures are born evil?

It's commonly agreed upon that a Synth is a creature that has been upgraded, or otherwise augmented with technology. Obviously technology is not something that the Union are lacking. As mentioned earlier, we can only guess what these synthetic organisms looked like before the transformation. Perhaps these creatures were not all too different from ourselves. Suffering the same invasions, going through the same process of being captured, and turned into machines that know nothing but murder.

It'd be selfish to assume that we are the only species under the Union's grip. Even further to suggest that we are the only species actively resisting. This brings us onto our next topic, and that is the use of Human based synthetics.

*The slide changes, the room's lighting changing slightly*

The Overwatch transhuman arm, yet terrifying proves to be just as interesting. Obviously, there is nothing to suggest that Overwatch soldiers are not being used in the same way that Hunters are being used. I'm not talking about invading a species the size of ants, but rather just the concept of invasions in general. It's obvious that these creatures do not come from nowhere. It could be that an alien scientist is writing about how their species was swarmed by an unforgiving tide of Overwatch soldiers in the same way I talk about synths to you, this very afternoon.

Of course, since the isolation, we can be fairly sure that Overwatch soldiers are not being shipped to other planets. In that case, what is the fate of those already deployed among the stars?

This of course does not answer the questions that I will touch upon today. That of course, is why you are here. So, should we consider Synths as sentient? And in a post occupation society, should we give them rights?

The first ethical explanation I will look through, is the Utilitarianism principle. If you are unfamiliar with this theory, it is perhaps the most common theory that you all live by. Under Bentham's Utilitarianism, we must aim to maximize the greatest amount of happiness, and the least amount of pain for the greatest number. According to Bentham, this means we must live under an Egalitarian society. This means, that all sentient creatures count for an equal. Of course, this means that an ant matters just as much as a human. The only difference is that killing a Human would cause more pain than killing several billion ants.

Another famous philosopher claims that anything that feels pain, should count for one. Under this ideology, that means that Synthetics are perfectly eligible for some forms of rights, right? We are aware that these creatures will let out shouts of pain when shot, or otherwise injured.

Well, in-fact, we must take things further. We cannot even assume that these creatures have the ability to feel pleasure. If something cannot appreciate the rights we are giving it, how can we even be sure that it deserves them?

We will discuss this in the second half of our lecture. For now, you may all take a break. The lecture will continue shortly.

*The VHS recording ends. Perhaps there's a second one?*
    High Management Staff Member

Please PM me on the forums, or through Discord if you require assistance.

Characters

Hugo Duckman, Leader of the Lambda Resistance

Jarrod Barnes, Vox Populi Member

Harry Thompson, Commander's assistant

Jason Williams, President of Haven

Chris White, Civil Worker's Union

I look forward to the next.

Comment

(Thread is open for OOC feedback, IC the lecture took place 2 years ago)
      High Management Staff Member

Please PM me on the forums, or through Discord if you require assistance.

Characters

Hugo Duckman, Leader of the Lambda Resistance

Jarrod Barnes, Vox Populi Member

Harry Thompson, Commander's assistant

Jason Williams, President of Haven

Chris White, Civil Worker's Union

Comment

Man, this stuff is interesting.

Comment

Working...
        X