This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Discussion] P2L vs Rolling

Alright, I wanted to make this post to highlight the differences between the two systems of combat that roleplay servers employ. [And why one of them sucks dick].

First of all, just to make sure that everyone is up to speed;

P2L/Play to lose is pretty much the complete of opposite of rolling. Instead of using random number generator to decide who wins and who loses, the outcome is agreed upon by both parties based on common sense and what their characters are capable of. Some flags are expected to P2L more than others, of course. A headcrab flag should not from a OOC standpoint try to kill every single person they see, and instead let them win in certain occasions.

If you're still having trouble visualising what I mean, here's some roleplay I was a part of a few weeks back;

**To Seong steps backwards, his arms a little shaky as he grips his blunt weapon. He glances around nervously, doesn't look like he's too keen on a confrontation.

**(Biter) Her hands raise almost lacisasically for To Seong's face. Damn; there goes your chance to close the door on her. She stumbles forward, no real spring to her step. Her eyes, milky white, stare into and beyond her prey.

**To Seong steps backwards once more as the undead steps towards him. He bites his lips as he readies the crowbar in his hand. He puts all his effort into a swing aimed at the infected kneecaps, hoping it would cause the monster to fall over.

**(Biter) The biter doesn't notice the blow until she another step and faceplants onto Seong's shoes. Her leg, it seems, has given out like dry firewood; everything beneath the knee hangs wrongly from the break. The smell of sulfur and vinegar is suddenly overwhelming, followed by plain old rot. The woman's sprawled form begins to right itself, hands scrabbling forward, as she now crawls towards Seong. Certainly there's no chance she'll capture her prey, now, alas.

Biter: Eeeuuuughh...

**(Biter) It's a vaguely mournful sound, but animal. Base. Like a cat's yowl.

** To Seong quickly pulls his leg away from the undead woman, he seems even shakier than before, if that's possible. He glances at the female with a expression of both pure disgust and fear. ''I'm sorry, I'm sorry...'' The Korean says as he steps backwards, reading himself for another swing.

**(Biter) If the biter hears you, it makes no indication of this fact. She -- it -- crawls forward, hauling itself bodily onward. Their fingertips just barely graze a loose shoestring as the crowbar descends.

**(To Seong) The swing is aimed at the creatures head, but considering how shaky To is, and his pretty small physical posture, it's pretty likely that the infected could survive that smack to the head.

**(Biter) Seong's adrenaline-filled survival instinct; a thing separating him from his would-be hunter, evidently; is certainly enough to do the trick. The once-doctor's head caves, from one temple to the other, cracking inwards like an egg. The resulting liquid spillage is black, fetid, intermixed with grey brain tissue. The smell's foulness is beyond description.

Now, in this scenario I was roleplaying as a small Korean survivor, armed with a crowbar, facing off with an shambling, rotting undead corpse. Can you see how quick, smooth and to the point P2L can be? If we were rolling to decide what actions are sucessful, and which are not, this entire encounter would have taken much longer and would have been a much less of a enjoyable experience. Not to mention how people have a tendency to write ''Nice'' in looc after anyone rolls something high.

I think it's time for us to move past rolling and start depending on P2L more and more. I'm not saying abandon rolling, sometimes it is the superior method, yes, but you guys depend on rolling too much. I remember recently roleplaying stumbling into a unit after stepping on my own laces, and since my character is a tall, somewhat burly man I said that the unit was likely to get knocked over. The unit's response was; ''let's roll for this boi''.

Post what you think or something
    Last edited by Stierżniewoj; 27-11-2018, 01:32.

hehee, that unit was me

It was more of a joke than anything.

P2L can be more relaxing and smooth than rolling for everything, but the recent shift in the server from roll to p2l has brought it‘s own problems: Powerplay.

If both parties agreed on an outcome and are happy, then sure. But sometimes P2L is used to powerplay, not even waiting on a response from the other person before doing something. An example would be 100a‘s Alexander Markov, who, after being quintuple-magdumped into by a civil protection team, did not get hit in the head once and killed another unit while falling.
    Or simply shot me with a crossbow despite there being reasonable time for my character to see him raise his weapon, aim and then step out of the way. This is only an example, as I had no further problems with that character.
    Gastericus likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sputnik View Post
      hehee, that unit was me

It was more of a joke than anything.

P2L can be more relaxing and smooth than rolling for everything, but the recent shift in the server from roll to p2l has brought it‘s own problems: Powerplay.

If both parties agreed on an outcome and are happy, then sure. But sometimes P2L is used to powerplay, not even waiting on a response from the other person before doing something. An example would be 100a‘s Alexander Markov, who, after being quintuple-magdumped into by a civil protection team, did not get hit in the head once and killed another unit while falling.
      Or simply shot me with a crossbow despite there being reasonable time for my character to see him raise his weapon, aim and then step out of the way. This is only an example, as I had no further problems with that character.
      Yes, powergame could be a problem amongst new or inexperienced players if we were to switch to P2L. But then again, you can powergame with rolling too. I think that a mentoring session or two to teach players about powergame is a small price to pay, however.

Comment

Better than rolling, quite definitely.

Comment

i'd just like to point out rolling is not random.

the higher your stats are the higher your rolls will be as the chance increases, P2L is good but levels the playing field when it should be uneven at times.

Comment

Normal S2RP or as you noobs call it ''P2L'' is superior to rolls.

Bye.
            Dave c: likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Migu24 View Post
              Normal S2RP or as you noobs call it ''P2L'' is superior to rolls.

Bye.
              BUT SIR, I WANT TO STEAL ITEMS FROM PEOPLE, HOW CAN I DO THAT WHEN WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BOTH GET BENEFIT FROM S2RP ??????!!!!
              lmao.
              Kontrλxt.exe has stopped working
              Restarting Kontrλxt.exe
              If I don't get into two arguments with staff, and if they don't say its my last chance, per day, well you know its a bad day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESW9FcHV7w

Comment

Rolling has a long history of being the stepping stones of respectable tabletop roleplaying systems. Just let people choose what they want.

P2L can be very successful, but it turns away a lot of people who aren't into it, and adds new ways to sneak powergame into a roleplay session. If I was told to P2L as a new player I wouldn't know what the hell to do, and would probably just leave forever because I felt way too much was being asked of me.
                P2L is for friends and other cases where people agree on it beforehand. It requires a mutual trust and respect among the players, which will guarantee that nobody acts out of line. If someone wanted to abuse a P2L system, they very much could.

Rolling, on the other hand, is surprisingly harder to abuse unless someone has trained their stats on a rulebreaking level. It is a system that gives you very clear answers to whether or not you succeed at certain actions, and we've specifically updated it to be fair to all players. A highly trained character has a serious advantage over a new character, but they're still never guaranteed to win every single move.
                This is what a lot of new players seek into, and that doesn't make it bad. It's easy to understand and next to impossible to cheat.

Let people roleplay how they want, don't scare away people who aren't into P2L.
                LolMan likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X